ABOUT ENERGY STAR PARTNER RESOURCES

Search by Topic:

I was told that I could not use CFLs in my home because I have "60-degree wiring" (where new homes have 90-degree wiring and CFLs are fine). Is that true? Follow

No. In this instance, using CFLs in your house would actually be preferable to using incandescent bulbs. "60-degree C" refers to the temperature (in Celsius) up to which the insulation around your household wiring will protect the wire safely. If the temperature exceeds that, the insulation becomes brittle and there is a danger of electrical shorts and fire. Around light fixtures, this can be an issue since incandescent light bulbs generate a lot of heat. It's also an issue if a circuit in your house is overloaded, since drawing an excess of electricity will cause the wire itself to heat up. Since CFLs are cooler than ordinary light bulbs, and draw less electrical current, they are perfectly fine to use with older 60-degree C wiring. Warning! If the wiring has already been exposed to excessive temperatures or electrical currents, the insulation is already damaged! While CFLs do nothing to harm the wire if it is still intact, they cannot undo damage that has already occurred. If the insulation around your wiring has already failed, it should be replaced.

Have more questions? Submit a request