ENERGY STAR products are independently certified to save energy without sacrificing features or functionality. Saving energy helps prevent climate change. Look for the ENERGY STAR label to save money on your energy bills and help protect our environment.
Improving your home's energy efficiency with ENERGY STAR can help to lower high energy bills, improve comfort and reduce greenhouse gas emissions. Learn about the many ways to save in your home and track your progress with "My ENERGY STAR" - your new dashboard to savings.
A new home that has earned the ENERGY STAR label has undergone a process of inspections, testing, and verification to meet strict requirements set by the US EPA. ENERGY STAR certified homes use 15-30% less energy than typical new homes while delivering better comfort, quality, and durability.
Why use Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs (CFLs) in the winter if they don't help heat your home? Follow
While incandescent light bulbs produce both heat and light, it is important to keep in mind they are both an inefficient heat source and an inefficient light source. Incandescent light bulbs use only about 10% of the energy they consume to produce light, and the other 90% is given off as heat, whereas ENERGY STAR qualified CFLs use 75% less energy and last 10 times longer, while producing the same amount of light (lumens) that you are used to receiving from an incandescent product.
Although incandescent light bulbs uses 90% of the energy consumed to produce heat, it is not efficiently producing this heat. First, the filament is in essence a resistance heater, which is far less efficient in terms of total energy consumption than an oil or gas furnace or electric heat pump. Furthermore, light bulbs are not designed to be used for heating and they therefore lack the design to effectively distribute the heat within your living space. By using your primary heat source for heating, and ENERGY STAR qualified CFLs for lighting, you will save energy, money, and limit the emission of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere.